There's actually more and more services like that. Tutanota[1] is one that I started to use (Germany-based, incl. servers). They make encryption incredibly easy to use, and I believe even manage to encrypt email's subject. Mailpile[2] is another, and Protonmail[3] and Lavaboom[4] (haven't tried any of them myself yet; if you ever do, let me know how good/bad they are).

It gives me some hope seeing how many new stuff of that sort have been appearing lately :-)

There's also an upcoming Dark Mail[5] by guys behind SilentCircle and Lavabit.

[1] https://tutanota.de
[2] https://www.mailpile.is
[3] https://protonmail.ch
[4] https://www.lavaboom.com/