Thunderbird won't install from Add/Remove Applications, so I tried sudo apt-get install thunderbird, whereupon I was informed that IceDove had replaced Thunderbird and the installation of IceDove proceeded forthwith without incident.

Now I'm hunting for the Profiles location so I can start importing my old profiles from the hard drive that housed debian before that computer died.

IceDove works on linux nearly exactly the way Thunderbird works on *indows, so I can keep two IceDoves running in parallel on these two OS's (on different computers) and transfer profiles w/o hassles if one gets hosed. I had to do that once when an antivirus program made the Thunderbird Inbox on the *indows PC vanish, and it went fine ... in the end, I restored the T-bird Inbox perfectly.