Dodged:

I used Gparted again, reformatting the half of the flashdrive that had the standard Trisquel on it and then using the "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.8.exe" to install the Trisquel Mini iso instead. After installation, I could run "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" without incident. There were lots of files to download and install, but the upgrade process did not try to fill up the available space; it stuck to its promise to download ca. 400MB and then use ca. 40MB more space.

That's in stark contrast to my experience described at the beginning of this thread.

Why ?