the following is not by me but by someone else using my account
its asked on here as i don't have a ubuntu forums account and trisquel is
ubuntu based so it would be just as relevant here

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running lubuntu 12.04
The audio has ceased working ever since I connected it to another amplifier in a demo room in an audio store. It worked while connected to my amplifier up to that point and on the store's amplifier but hasn't worked ever since I've re-connected it to my own amplifier. Why?

I have ran alsamixer and the volume is at maximum
it also dose not output to any speakers or headphones