Technically since your personal email will be stored on an external server you could say that, however I don't believe it is the same as say.. using "cloud" apps. I personally have an email server set up that my family uses though I do use an external service for an alternate email address I check less frequently.

Also the FSF has a list of approved webmail systems (I personally use openmailbox.org for my alternate address) so that may be worth looking in to. Ideally, yes, it is best to host your own server but that isn't always a realistic option.