wheezy (Debian 7) comes with an older kernel and that kernel doesn't require the non-free firmware to display the native screen resolution with the ati graphics card. Same goes for Trisquel 6. But Trisquel 7 and Debian Jessie (which will be soon the new stable release of debian) ship a new kernel and that kernel requires a proprietary firmware to be enabled for my graphics card to achieve the native resolution. I installed Debian Jessie (Debian 8) on a USB key just to try it and try to modify some things in order to have the proper resolution but to no avail. I went to the debian irc chanel and several dudes told me that there is no way around it and that I need a non-free package for it to work properly..
:(