Hi!

I am a growing fan of free software, have been starting off with Debian but I would love to now try Trisquel and see what it's like.

The reasons for having freedoms include security and privacy also (no back doors, no binary blobs, 'free hardware' one day I hope too), so I have a lot of incentives for going 'free', aside from autonomy!

I have a strong desire to be able to install Trisquel without connecting to the Internet. I do not want my real IP address downloading packages and connecting to a single server until I am running a vpn client within Trisquel, after which I can download further packages and/or updates past that point.

Is this possible?

So to relay what I've done so far: I've got a spare laptop, an old Dell, and I've downloaded trisquel_7.0_amd64.iso, the main 'full' ISO from https://trisquel.info/en/download from the looks of it.

I burnt it to a bootable USB in Debian, and all seemed to go well, when:

- First attempt - graphical installer. I get all the way to selecting encrypted home folder option (right after partitioning and I chose encryption with LVS), and a big crash happens. Says either CD/DVD has got problems or HDD is old/etc. (the HDD was recently DBAN'ed and I don't think HDD is the problem).

- Second attempt - this time, text installer. I'm fairly comfortable with that anyway, so away I go - well, this time I'm stuck at this 'Bad archive mirror' error, and I'm not sure how I can get past it and install the basic OS packages without needing Internet connected.

I '', choose 'Download installer components', and it forces me to 'Choose a mirror of the Trisquel archive' and even with 'enter information manually', I'm taken to 'Bad archive mirror' (and I assume because of 'mirror is not available' reason in the error).

It would be a massive shame if there's no way to install Trisquel without compromising one's privacy on the Internet. I mean, I COULD probably work out some complicated gateway setup where I 'Torify' or 'VPNify' the Ethernet connection coming in to the laptop for the Install, but that's really prohibitive (I may not have the hardware to do that anyway, my router's not DD-WRT'able etc and I have no PC with more than one Ethernet jack to try and make into a linux gateway, and I do NOT use Wifi so hotspot option is out), and even make a passionate Trisquel potential like myself not to be able to do this.

We really need an offline install option (for users with anonymity concerns or poor Internet), even Windows and OS X can do that!

Is there a way I can work around the mirror error and continue on with installation from the disc? Does the disc even HAVE a local repo of packages or is the bulk of the 1.5GB taken up by the live OS on the disc? HANG ON, what am I thinking - of course it doesn't, does it? It would need WAY more size on the disc right?

:(

Thanks for your help...

If there's anything I can do like create my own mirror on the disk from copying from another mirror (and make the mirror hostname /sda, or some LAN IP like the debian PC I write this from now), or other ISOs available somewhere, I'm all ears! I'm really pretty determined, and willing to get my hands dirty, but not spend money buying extra hardware when one shouldn't have to just to be able to do an offline install of a worthy OS! :)