"It isn't SaaSS because the average user can't practically do
this kind of computing"

That's very vague;
a lot of people would argue that Gnu/linux is practically too difficult for the average user... or, imagine if a libre dictionary is very complicated and an online dictionary is very easy to use; would it be "less SaaSS"?

I think it makes more sense to ask: Would i be able to avoid giving away control over my data if i use a program on my own computer instead of using this service?
Because that's what it's all about, right? Control, and therefore freedom;
When it comes to email, the answer is no, both for webmail and mail server.

Otherwise you would reach the conclusion that posting on this forum is SaaSS because you could use the mailing list instead, hence edit and send the messages with your own mail client; Actually, it's almost the same exact question like webmail vs own mail client.