I heard that from a GNOME developer at a conference. I do not remember the details. I guess it has to do with things like closing the lid of your laptop (what suspends it by default) while the system is shutting down. If you have ever tried that with Trisquel (which currently uses ConsoleKit), you have probably discovered that the system may be stuck and need a hard reboot.

logind brings cool new features too. Multi-seat (many screens, keyboards, mouses, etc. for one single machine) for instance. According to https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/ :

systemd's logind service obsoletes ConsoleKit which was previously widely used on Linux distributions. For X11 display managers the switch to logind requires a minimal amount of porting, however brings a couple of new features: true automatic multi-seat support, proper tracking of session processes, (optional) automatic killing of user processes on logout, a synchronous low-level C API and much simplification.