Essentially what I was going to say. It is perfectly fine to bring these topics up but you have to pick the right situations.

That said some times there will never be a perfect time and others aren't always keen to listen to a new point of view. I bring it up when relevant in various Windows/Apple websites but I don't push to heavily. Just putting the message out there in a simple fashion can be a huge help long term, it plants that seed of doubt in their current situation and another seed of intrigue.

I admit that personally the switch to free software wasn't over night and it was from others slowly spreading the word in other forums that started me slowly on the path. Those that started big angry debates generally worked against the cause as it made the position look extreme - it was the more generalized simpler approach that did it for me.