This constant updating without authentication is more than slightly disturbing.
Have you combed through *all* your Software Updater settings? Is there some
sort of 'hands-free maintenance' mode you've enabled by mistake?

I don't use Software Updater anyway, so I'm practically clueless as to the
problem- can't you just use the terminal? Just make updating manually a habit.

Question- is your account 'Administrator' by any chance? Check in the accounts
thingy in the control panel (I assume you're using the default DE).

> Should I care?

Well, nothing actively bad will probably come of it, but I would feel really
insecure (perhaps irrationally) of my machine doing things behind my back like
that.