On 28/08, cdwald...@gmail.com wrote:
> im about to be doing some scripting. i am really new and want to figure out
> the starting of a simple one that be useful for like setiing up date and
> time or finding the ip.
We meet again...

Anyways you should first start with learning a language or
shell. Generally people like Python, Bash and Zsh.

Python is langauge which has a ton modules which can do all kinds of
crazy stuff. I've a little script that checks my email and sends me
the unread emails. And I barely know basic Python.

Bash is the shell used by pratically everyone who uses a GNU/Linux
system and forms a good foundation for learning how to script.

Zsh is Bash with more features and has a ton of cool stuff like great
autocomplete, plugin frameworks (I like prezto), and themes.

But it is absolutely essential that you learn how to use the shell
effectively. Most of the stuff you want to do is achievable using
basic commands including changing music, showing you your volume
level, date, displaying a fortune cookie, ascii art, etc...

If you want to read up on someone who knows how to a lot of really
cool things with the shell I really recommend z3bra. There are also a
lot of really good resources on learning the shell which I'll link as
well.

[1] http://blog.z3bra.org/ (especially meeting at the bar and pop it
up)
[2] http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/
[3] https://github.com/sorin-ionescu/prezto
[4]
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2
(I really recommend this one for all things GNU/Linux)
[5]
http://www.amazon.com/How-Linux-Works-Superuser-Should/dp/1593275676
(The old version was my real introduction to Linux)
[6] http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html#Bash
[7] http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html#Python
--
Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's hard to get it back in.
                -- H.R. Haldeman