I installed Trisquel Mini with LXDE instead. I'm able to switch between keyboard layouts using Keyboard Layout Handler. But then I addded my variant of the us keyboard layout using the method described in my first post and it won't show up in Keyboard Layout Handler. I can get it to load if I tell Keyboard Layout Handler to use the system layout and edit /etc/default/keyboard to use my layout. So the system can find it but it's not visible to Keyboard Layout Handler.

Why am I mucking about with this? I want to use a US layout as it's best suited for programming, but I'm in Sweden so I really need to be able to write ÅÄÖ. So I want a US layout with the ability to AltGr to ÅÄÖ on some buttons. This was quite easy to setup on my mac, but I'm really confused by the keyboard handling in Linux. There's xkb and input methods like xim and IBus and I can't understand how it fits together.