I think this is a cultural difference. Perhaps this particular sentence form (question, yes? question, yes?) is always used sarcastically where you're from. That's not true here.

New Zealand English is influenced by the indigenous Māori language, of which I am a basic speaker. In Māori, there are no special sentence forms that distinguish a question from a statement. The expression "nē rā" (or just "nē"), meaning something like "is that right?", or "truly?", is added at the end of a sentence to seek confirmation from the listener, turning what would otherwise be a statement into a question. My use of a statement, followed by "yes?", follows this habit.