> handbrake is not what I consider user friendly.

Really? I used Handbrake to rip every episode of Samurai Jack from the DVDs we have, and I found it to be very easy. At the very least, it was easy enough that the experience was uneventful. This was my first, and so far only, use of Handbrake.

I don't know anything about ripping from VHS (I assume you need some kind of special equipment?), but I'd imagine it would be largely the same process, wouldn't it? Maybe even easier since you don't have to deal with chapters and whatnot.