> For example, webmail

Webmail isn't a concept that needs JavaScript to work. Lots of old Webmail systems didn't require JavaScript at all. Squirrelmail is one named example, and I think Gmail still has a fallback version of the Webmail that doesn't require JavaScript (though I'm not entirely sure; it may have been removed since the last time I used Gmail).

> I would argue instead that the web browser should have it off by default and ask users if they want to run scripts temporarily, which NoScript achieves through the whitelist or LibreJS does by checking for licenses.

To be perfectly honest, I can't think of any use-case for JavaScript use on the Web where it is both necessary and appropriate. But if there is one, Web browsers must handle scripts in a fundamentally different way. What you are proposing just isn't sufficient, because it doesn't give the user any technical ability to modify the JavaScript code. What good is being able to see the source code if you can't make changes? I guess you could find out that the program is malicious, but there would be nothing you would be able to do about it. That's why I said in the essay I linked to that fixing JavaScript must include the following:

* The browser must install JavaScript code permanently, and only when the user explicitly authorizes it in some fashion. * The browser must give the user the ability to install any arbitrary script, not just the script requested by the Web page. * The browser must not upgrade any JavaScript code automatically, unless the user has specified that it should be, and the user must be able to choose where such updates come from.