In the past month or so, as you know I switched my Mom over from Windows 7 to Trisquel GNU/Linux. Well, my Uncle sent his laptop down to me, which had Windows XP on it. It is a Dell Vostro 1500 with a Core 2 Duo Intel chip, 2GB of RAM, and a 120 GB 5400 RPM drive.

He was frustrated that Windows XP wasn't working like it used to because of the forced obsolescense due to lack of support from Microsoft. Anyways, he wants to give GNU/Linux a try and since he already used OpenOffice, and Firefox, it won't be a stretch for this to happen.

I pulled out his old 120 GB 5400 RPM and tossed in a 120 GB SDD, beefed his laptop up to the max amount of RAM which is 4 GB, and threw in a Atheros 802.11N wifi card in it and put Trisquel on it. This 10 Year old machine now runs incredibly fast and responsive! The wifi card that was in it was a Broadcom BCM4311, and did work, but intermittently. It was like 1 out of every 3 boots it would work, so I canned it.

After I am done with his, I also have an MSI Wind that I'm re-doing for a friend's wife that also had XP on it, and that also runs Trisquel nicely.

     Now is the time to get people switched!