I'm willing to try Emacs for some time now.
I totally like the idea of "one way to do everything".
There's even the evil mode to get vim keybindings, provided it's used along Ranger (if preferred to the internal way to manage files).

After all, what are the advantages of Vim for me (compared to a normal text editor, not to Emacs)? I mainly like the keybindings that are the same for several programs. And the modal aspect to move around is fun.

I think the only real downsides are a slower startup (we're probably talking about a couple of seconds, which is meaningless), and the keybindings that are supposedly hard on the pinky finger (maybe the only real reason not to favor Emacs). And the "need" to get acquainted with vi basics, just in case. But since I roughly have those basics already, it's also a moot point.

Speaking of which, yeah, Vi(m) is horrible when using it the first few times. I merely can move around now, write, save and quit, but I had to learn those the hard way, and many other basic actions I can't perform yet.

So for my use, it really could be any of those two editors.

Emacs is without a doubt more powerful. It's supposedly less intuitive, I'll have to find out for myself (specially since Vim doesn't feel intuitive at my level).

Thanks for the suggestion!