"...letting this project die?"

Why do you think it will "die"? Because the release of Trisquel 8 is happening 'too slowly'? Slow progress is not the same as no progress.

This is not our call. Trisquel is not a democracy. It is Ruben's project. If you are suggesting Santi help Ruben, that is Ruben's decision. If you are suggesting that Santi become the leader, that is ultimately Ruben's decision as well. It is Ruben's project. Ruben has to decide who, if anybody, his successor will be. It is for Ruben and Santi to decide what they want to do. It is not our decision, and Ruben is not asking for our advice. So...I don't understand this thread!

If you simply cannot wait for Trisquel 8, nothing is stopping you from developing your own distro!