Not sure it would help but here are parts of my .i3config:

bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume 0 -- +10% && killall -SIGUSR1 i3status bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume 0 -- -10% && killall -SIGUSR1 i3status
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-mute 0 toggle

I can't really explain anymore how it works (forgot), but I know I tried different ways. What I remember: the SIGUSR part (with killall) helps refreshing the volume display faster.
I don't know anymore what is sink. But it works for me.