My desktop is configured to boot to a text-console. From there, when I want a GUI, I start X Windows by typing in VT1:
sudo lightdm

The GUI starts in VT7 but I remain with the black screen in VT1 so I must switch to VT7 manually with: Ctrl-Alt-F7 Now I am in VT7 and I see the greeter and I login. Then the screen goes black and I am back in VT1 so I must switch back to VT7 with: Ctrl-Alt-F7
Now I am logged in and I see my desktop and I remain in VT7 unless I logout.
If I logout from the XFCE menu the screen goes black and I am back in VT1 The greeter remains in VT7 until I stop the process in VT1
If I shutdown from the XFCE menu the machine shuts down and powers off.

My situation works, but I would like to fix it so I don't have to switch back with Ctrl-Alt-F7. This is more of a challenge than a necessity so please don't tell me just change to boot to GUI. In the past, I don't remember which distro(s), I could type in startx and the GUI would start and I would automatically be in the correct VT with the GUI