I don't know what the complications are secifically but this is what they say here.

https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/LinuxBuild/

"CDE on Linux is not yet to the point of being simple to package for distribution or a relatively simple to compile from the source archive."

Lack of interest or the port is not ready for primetime yet.

I really like the look of Motif decorations. If you use a dock with Xfce, it will be functionally very similar. Remove the panel and start app from desktop (workplace) menu with the right click of the mouse. I wonder if the native apps dtterm and dtfile work without the full desktop in Xfce. I guess they need the mwm Motif window manager to work.

I attached a file with the standard CDE XPM and XBM backdrops.