I want to make voice calls from my home computer using my internet connection. All the programs I've seen so far, appear to be designed for chat, or for use with a mobile phone, or they require both sides to communicate via their PCs. Two questions:

1.) What is a good program for voice from a PC. I don't need video. It would be nice if it could handle texting but that is not essential.

2.) How to solve any ISP privacy issues. I'm in the USA and I use Comcast. Can anyone recommend an alternative company/method.

I'm moving away from mobile phones gradually, and this would be a significant step for me.

Thank you.