Here is a pattern I normally see with distro versions: 1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5 < 6 < 7 < 8 < 9 and so on. In other words, there is a direct correlation between time and improvement. This would imply that the longer we wait, the better it will be! Also, if you insist on thinking in terms of Ubuntu releases, the longer we wait now, the closer we will be to the release of version 9! :)

Perhaps if we rush the release of Trisquel 8, it will have more flaws. There is an assumption that Ruben is not working on this. Isn't it possible that he is working very hard at releasing it and is running into some problems that take time to fix? If we rush him we:
a.) put pressure on him
b.) encourage a Trisquel 8 with more flaws if he gives in to pressure and releases version 8 before it is ready.

The only problem here is that people know that Ubuntu's latest version has been released. This should not be a problem if Trisquel is treated as its own distribution. Trisquel is not Ubuntu, just as Ubuntu is not Debian. Debian and Ubuntu have very different release schedules and priorities. So too, Trisquel and Ubuntu have different priorities and schedules.

My advice: Don't think of Trisquel as a liberated Ubuntu. Think of Trisquel as its own distribution, with its own release schedule and ignore Ubuntu completely.