Because it's still experimental. I am not even sure if they have hostname being resolved over proxy or directly. CUrl on the other hand is a software that I have tried and used many times, and I have relatively confidence on it's socks implementation. ALso, I am not even sure if youtube-dl current repo's version has it or not (though I suspect, given the fact that youtube-dl is updated by automatic updates almost every other day on Trisquel). Thanks anyway, if I was into youtube-dl it would have been nice to know this :)