Hello.

A family member has some old family videos in a dvd, and I wanted to rip it for myself. I have tried using dd, which produced an ISO that I couldn't get to work properly (I mounted it and it was never successfully recognized as a media DVD). Using SimpleBurn I discovered that the cause is an error output saying:
"Error: no ISO9660 formatted media in drive"
I haven't been able to create an ISO that would work with this. Basically I want to create an ISO that I can play in my home theater media player, or mount in the computer and watch in VLC or mplayer when I want to.
Is there a way I can convert it to ISO9660??

I also tried using VLC to convert the DVD to a simple video file, but I was left with no sound (used VLC and I think the setting was youtube sd quality).

Any help greatly appreciated as I will have to return the dvd soon and I really want to keep these videos.

Thanks.