> Can I safely assume it's all about the GPU?

No. It depends on the game.

Here's a real example: compared to the speed of the Python interpreter, 2-D rendering is so fast that whatever benefits come from offloading work to the GPU is not particularly noticeable, or even negligible. Because of this, most of the games I have worked on do not benefit substantially from having a good GPU. I actually did some tests of ReTux on the OpenPandora, for example, and use of hardware acceleration only made a small difference; what really made a difference (though still not to the point of making the game playable) was overclocking the CPU.

That being said, it sounds like it's probably the GPU that's the bottleneck in your case.