Thanks for the tip about swap files, I'll have a play with that. There's some good info on swap partitions and swap files here:

"One swap partition can be shared between several GNU/Linux distributions"

That's what I thought too, but I came across some information on the web (can't find the link now) that said that installing another instance of GNU/Linux using the same swap partition breaks the ability of the original instance to use the swap file. Was this person just wrong, or are you saying that editing /etc/fstab is the solution to this problem? If so, can you provide more detail (or a link to it) on exactly what to edit in /etc/fstab and how?