Many thanks for all this information, onpon4.

I thought there was still some problem with the Allwinner A20 but that rhombus-tech had solved it on their own board (the people behind https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop.

>the Allwinner A20 is one of the best SoCs for libre software today
That’s what I read on the Freedombox wiki, and I’d like to have a go but now you’ve made me aware of eoma68/rhombus-tech, well, I think I’d better wait for mass sale, if that happens.

Reading that page and the rhombus-tech pages, I was under the impression, this board was made up of smaller modules you could simply unswitch. I was wrong, then.

You buy the board, you can buy or make a little box for the board. That’s it. Or you can buy the board inside a laptop, and you keep the laptop case, keyboard and screen for ever and simply change the board, which is a good thing.

When you have a desktop computer, you usually keep your keyboard, mouse, case, and ethernet card (I have one that’s not an onboard one, because the onboard one is flaky), and sometimes, you can keep some other components or cards. I assembled our computers, so I try not to throw away components and re-use them.

Storage is a bit of a headache, with these boards. You need 2.5" hard drive disks which are expensive or 3.5" HDD in a case, which is also an expensive solution. I have 3.5" spare HDD but the problem is to connect them to the USB

So apart from the usb ethernet adapter,is it like the https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2 whose price is before VAT, unfortunately — this becomes clear if you read the information about how to order. Yet, I’m not sure about USB ethernet. The Raspberry Pi has an onboard one and I read it isn’t very good.

As for the computer for my friends, I’ll wait until they’ve bought their new camera, and then see what they really need to view their pictures on a light DE, like LXDE or even JWM. Perhaps oldish components will do.

Cheers,