Anything is better than a google service as far as privacy
I agree

Enigmail with icedove takes 5 minutes to understand and employ, even for absolute computer illiterates

I do not agree

Being an itiot - or computer illiterate as you put it - I know for a fact that things are not as easy as you formulate it here. I have spend hours and hours on trying to figure it out - an I'm not done yet.

Furthermore, most people just can not live without web mail! I think I'll give mailvelope a shot once, to see if it's something to introduce to web mail addicts.