When advocating for the (relatively) obscure GNU/Linux over Windows, free software advocates often respond to the objection of "if it's so great, why isn't it already market-dominant?" by pointing to the Dvorak keyboard layout being superior to QWERTY as an example of how an objectively better system or standard can get locked out of the marketplace by various factors, such as short-term thinking in gatekeeper companies, self-perpetuating path dependence (typing schools taught QWERTY because manufacturers only made QWERTY; manufacturers only made QWERTY because typists were only taught QWERTY), network effects (everyone uses it because everyone uses it), etc.

So why don't more GNU/Linux users (and Mac users before them, come to think of them) actually USE Dvorak? If any one out there would "get it" about how going through a little more up-front effort to learn something new to get a big long term benefit, you'd think it would be our community. If anyone would have the discipline and dedication to go through a little bit of extra hassle (switching the layout on a new or borrowed computer, then switching it back when returned, etc), it would be our community, especially the "purist" freedom advocates.

In case you don't already know about this issue, check out more information here:

http://www.dvzine.org/

I just wish that the Linux friendly manufacturers and sellers (ThinkPenguin, System76, ZaReason, Entroware etc) and especially the fully-free system sellers (Minifree, Tehnoetic, Libiquity, Viking) would make Dvorak layouts at least an option, or even the default.

And why don't ANY Linux distros make Dvorak the default? I mean if you're hard-core enough to exclude MP3 capability and PlayOnLinux, why not Dvorak?