According to that article on OMGBuntu the Snaps project will continue for now. As Shuttleworth says in his blog, ultimately its the industry and the community who will decide, whether containered desktop apps are what we want, and if so, which format we want to use. Hopefully we will make that decisions at least partly on technical merit, and not just schoolyard politics ;P

Shuttleworth shows a lot of integrity in admitting that Ubuntu's push into the mobile device market has failed, like Mozilla's FirefoxOS before it. It's brave to face up to the fact that the software projects that were started to pursue that goal now fail a cost/ benefit analysis for his company, as he did with Ubuntu One, instead of continuing to throw money at those projects out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

I wouldn't write off Unity, Mir, Ubuntu Touch etc just yet though. I've met a few guys that have been working on them professionally for years, who really believe in them. They also disagree with Shuttleworth a lot, although they're smart enough to keep quiet about it at work. I can imagine some of them continuing or forking those projects, whether its under the umbrella of the Ubuntu Foundation, or some other incubator like the Apache Foundation or Software Conservancy or somesuch.