Hello lodonnell921; welcome to the forum!

Debian itself should contain only free/libre software by default; as far as I know, it only makes it simple to add non-free software. If you're careful, there shouldn't be a problem (of this kind, anyways) with it. The release date for Trisquel 8 is unknown, but it's being worked on.

I myself use Parabola and I'm happy with it. Parabola has a 100% free/libre kernel with the grsecurity patches in repositories. I'm using it as my main kernel and it works very well. I'm not sure what the situation is like at Trisquel.

I believe that moving away from proprietary software and even proprietary and/or centralized services is a great thing to do, so I strongly recommend doing so. One doesn't need to free their digital life completely overnight, but it's something that we should certainly always strive for; freedom is very important, after all. I guess that would be my advice. :)

By the way, I've noticed that you use the term “open source.” While it basically refers to the same software, the term “open source” comes from a different movement and doesn't evoke/convey the idea of freedom that we mustn't forget. Calling it “free” or “libre” software is generally preferred. See https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html