I struggled with that issue two years ago. For Trisquel there is a good solution: run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" and then in one of the menus choose something like "Use Keypad Enter as AltGr".

I.e. the issue is that the Macbook 2.1 keyboard does not have an AltGr-key. In the physical keyboard, there is a keypad enter, just like you said: the key that acts as an enter. After using dpkg-reconfigure that key will act as AltGr and not as enter.

For more information see the wiki we wrote a year or so ago: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/macbook

Actually most of the issues listed there have been solved in newer versions of libreboot. I should update the wiki...