I am new to GNU/Linux and don't really understand what grub is. When I power up, I see the libreboot menu. It has two options that mention grub:
-Load test configuration (grubtest.cfg) inside of CBFS
-Search for GRUB2 configuration on external media

The first of those options makes the menu disappear for a second and then return. The second option might work if I knew what files to include on external media.

I can also press 'c' for a "grub>" command line, which might be what you refer to in your last comment. From here I pressed Tab to display all commands. The two commands that stand out as related to the kernel are "xnu_kernel" and "xnu_kernel64," both which give the error: "file '/boot/grub/i386-coreboot/xnu.mod' not found." I don't see a way of accessing "advanced options" from the libreboot menu unless there is a way to do so from the command line. I'm attaching images of the libreboot menu and grub terminal.

If from the libreboot menu I instead select "Load Operating System" as usual, I immediately see a splash screen with the Trisquel logo. During this time, pressing ESC toggles the splash screen, pressing 'c' does nothing, pressing Shift does nothing, holding Shift does nothing, and repeatedly pressing ESC repeatedly toggles the splash screen. I get the "free firmware" error 6 times while booting, after which I am taken to the login screen . The exact error is:
iwl3945 ... : /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ firmware file req failed: -22
iwl3945 ... : Could not read microcode: -22
Missing Free firmware

Where in this process does it sound like I need to select the kernel, and how? Thanks for your time and assistance.