For some reason it was not activated. This is the first time I have experienced swap not being active after a fresh install.

Actually. when I open Gparted the partition was there but indicated with black (and a warning triangle, if I remember correctly).

I deleted that partition and created a new swap. Running the 'swapon -s' command still showed no swap. I restarted, still no swap. Then I opened Gparted again and noticed that swap wasn't on.

Like I said, this is the first time I have experienced this. Have done something wrong during installation?