I just wanted to let you know that I do have a similar issue of not being able to connect to a hidden wireless on Debain Stretch with XFCE on an Asus EeePC 1015px.

It might not be the same problem entirely since I can't connect to my own network even if it is not hidden. It doesn't even show up in the list of available networks. But I can use an open public access point of an other wireless, but is to slow for most purposes. Therefore, I assume in principle all works fine but there seems to be a problem with how my own router is configured. On other systems (different laptops from Dell, Acer and Lenovo with Trisquel, Ubuntu and Debian) my private wireless works just fine.