Thank you.

>[device]

wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Do I use sudo nano to edit the file?

>opposed to just downloading the .deb file from packages.debian.org

I prefer if I could get the download link.
Then I can have a backup of the software on my computer.

>I don't understand this sentence of yours.

I do not know what packaging for debian implies.
Is it a requirement to know how to edit the source software which is turned into a debian package?
Must you know what every line in the source software does?

Have you downloaded http://packages.trisquel.info/belenos/all/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/download and extracted the debian file, then opened htc_9271.fw in an editor? Looks as if it can be edited as it is.