Systemd is, above all, one of those extremely controversial subjects
like politics and infant feeding methods, that people are going to have
strong opinions about. It's best not to bring it up unless you are
genuinely interested in a quick survey of people's opinions, as th OP
has here, or maybe once in awhile as a tongue-in-cheek analogy for
politics, infant feeding methods, etc.

Trisquel 8 will have systemd. That is a fact and we have all known it
for some time. It took two years for Devuan Jessie to be ready enough
for the "average Joe". Removing systemd is beyond the scope of the
Trisquel project, which is downstream to Ubuntu Xenial Xeres which is
downstream to Debian Jessie.

Trisquel 7 uses upstart and is systemd-free to the best of my knowledge.
It is still supported with security updates, isn't particularly buggy
any more, and fits like a comfortable old shoe. There's no sense in
harshing that mellow instead of enjoying this great distro and this
amazing community while it lasts.

If you are looking for systemd-free alternatives, there are Devuan, Free
Slack (64 bit only), Guix, Void, Funtoo, Alpine, Manjaro and probably
many others I am unaware of.