Trisquel 7.0 is dated now. Trisquel 8.0 is overdue, still unreleased and will be outdated if it ever is released, as it is based on a Ubuntu LTS which is soon to be superceded.

I think many people would agree that Ruben doesn't have the time he needs to continue to maintain Trisquel as it currently exists. It should therefor change to a rolling release distribution model or another maintainer should be found to either assist or replace Ruben.

Has it been stated somewhere that a prolonged release schedule is part of Trisquel's philosophy? If so, what is the rationale behind that? If not, is there some considerable advantage to being so far behind in development to outweigh the bugfixes?

Sadly, I am coming to a conclusion that Trisquel is a zombie project. Nothing puts it out of its misery. It still keeps lumbering on, but to what end? The sap has ceased to rise. Trisquel is doing more to block vibrant growth in the Free software community. It needs to be reinvograted or removed.