gnuga...@gmail.com wrote:
System76 are disabling Intel ME and all, I think, models that they sell. People with more knowledge than me, could this lead to librebooting these systems or is more needed.

Needless to say they are doing this from a security point not a FreeSoftware point.

If this is characterized as a step in the right direction, I think that this is ultimately a smaller step than is really needed.

A significant step in the right direction is to provide POWER-based computers more users can afford. I say POWER-based because:

- as far as I know, POWER CPUs are already up and running in desktop computers and doing real jobs in a competitive way to what Intel/AMD chips are doing. I'm sure there are other CPUs that can do work like this too, and I have nothing against them, but I don't know as much about the details of those efforts.

- free software benefits from being more portable. Thus free software benefits from identifying and fixing bugs due to being written (without cause) to assume endianness, instruction set, and other processor-dependent details.

- I believe current POWER-based systems running GNU/Linux can implement a cryptographically-signed free BIOS (or something that functions to get the system hardware running) where the user holds exclusive access to the keys, not some other party. Users are free, of course, to decide to keep another party's key(s) in the keyring.

We in the free software community insulate ourselves from the horrors of Intel ME and workalikes (hereafter "ME") by diversifying where we can run free software. Our best response to Intel/AMD is to reject them utterly and reassess what they have to offer if and when they resume developing chips we can trust. We are not well served to try technocratic means of working around ME by keeping the malware in the system but avoiding it. POWER-based computing is a viable means of reaching these ends.