Thanks for answering my question, Leah, although I don't think that was quite what I was getting at. As I understand it, there are two firmware 'paradigms': BIOS and EFI, which are quite different in the way they work. So, I am wondering if the Libreboot firmware is more similar to BIOS or EFI, or is it somewhere in the middle? Or, is it completely different to both?

For example, can it boot up from both MBR-type hard disks and GPT hard disks that have an EFI System Partition?

(or perhaps I'm just misunderstanding something about firmware and asking silly questions?)