New versions of Firefox have a setting in Preferences > Privacy & Security: "Allow Firefox to install and run studies". If I remember correctly, it is checked by default.

I just wonder if they installed this add-on only for those users who had this setting checked. I read Mozilla's apology linked by bobstechsite, but this sentence sounds as if they would install the add-on anyway: "Instead of giving users the choice to install this add-on, we initially pushed an update to Firefox that installed the “Looking Glass” add-on for English speaking users."