Trisquel/Guix (or as I've taken to calling it lately, Trisquel+Guix) is a great solution. You get the stability of a LTS distro with the ability to upgrade a package to the latest version of a package if necessary. That said, since the packages in Trisquel 8 are more up-to-date, I've found since upgrading that I don't have to rely on Guix as often, which has had some advantages.

- Updating and installing with apt is faster and more convenient. guix pull takes much longer than apt update. When binary substitutes are not available Guix will begin building from source, which is better than the install failing, but it once took 16 hours just to install Emacs, which then wouldn't launch. - Many packages in Trisquel have not been packaged yet in Guix. For instance, Guix has none of the popular GUI mail clients or web browsers. Trisquel 8 already has Abrowser/Firefox 57, whereas Trisquel 7 does not and there is no equivalent in Guix. - I recommend Trisquel to people who want to use an accessible libre distro. While I'm comfortable supplementing Trisquel with Guix, they would not be. When possible, I prefer solutions to protect my freedom that will help my friends as well. - This might be a bit of an edge case, but Trisquel 8 has the latest stable version of Lilypond (2.18.2) and Guix always has the latest development version (currently 2.19.63). This makes it very easy to have both versions installed alongside each other. Back when I used Trisquel 7, which has 2.16.2, I had to rely on Guix just to get the current stable version. By default Guix will only install the latest devel version of Lilypond, and it took quite a bit of support from the guix-help mailing list to override Guix's default behavior in this way.