Hm... it looks like xbindkeys is more complicated than I thought. Probably not a good choice, then. Apparently it requires manually editing a config file, which isn't helpful since you can just do that for Openbox anyway.

Here's what you really want:

https://github.com/nsf/obkey

There's no Trisquel package, but it seems to be libre, and it's just Python so source code installation shouldn't be a problem. So download this:

https://github.com/nsf/obkey/archive/v1.0.tar.gz

Extract to your Downloads folder. Then open a LXTerminal, and enter the following commands:

cd ~/Downloads/obkey-1.0
sudo python setup.py install

After you do this, you should be able to run obkey by typing the "obkey" command either in a terminal or in the Run prompt. That should give you a reasonable graphical interface to adjust Openbox's keyboard shortcuts in.

Let me know how it goes and if you run into any difficulties! :)