I see.

How do I "open /var/log/syslog" in leafpad? :)

I didn't quite understand what you meant by your text session tips. I tried alt+F2, but that didn't work. The screen was all semi-frozen, I could move the mouse, but it was moving slowly and laggy. And when I did the ctrl+alt+F1 I got just texts and texts and texts (I could've read the text perhaps and I might have found something, but I didn't do that unfortunately). I could exit back to the desktop, but it was all frozen again.
ctrl+alt+F2 does the exact same thing as ctrl+altF1 though, doesn't it?

Yeah, sure, maybe I'll try the memtests86+ tonight or tomorrow, that sounds like a good idea. I'm using a MacBook Pro 9.1, so I would not be surprised if many issues can be sourced to that.

What is "self-testing" hard drives? :) what am I testing for?