I've been going through Linux From Scratch myself and I highly recommend it. It gives a great level of insight into how GNU/Linux is constructed; how to configure and compile source code; and how to build your own custom Linux kernel. I found it also brings a level of appreciation for the package managers and how much easier they make things :)

I probably won't end up using it for my day-to-day computing, but it's a great learning tool. Could also be useful for playing around with new applications/code, before they make it into the Trisquel repository.