> I imagine the driving thing behind that is the young people of today seeming to live inside the web browser and deeming everything outside of it to be verboten.

As I suggested in my post above, your average web user is inherently impatient and munches on web pages like candy. A casual visitor to a site (e.g. a free-software site), who maybe just has a passing interest in the topic, wants everything to just be right there, on the web page, at the click of a button. If there are multiple clicks or 'set-up' involved, they probably won't bother - they'll just move on.