Short answer: Update to openjdk version 8.

The problem:
After downloading Geany 1.32 from the website and installing onto Trisquel 7 64-bit, my .java programs gave the following error when I tried to compile them:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: filename : Unsupported major.minor version 52.

The fix:
The problem was fixed after installing some packages:

sudo apt install openjdk-8-dbg openjdk-7-dbg openjdk-7-jdk openjdk-7-demo openjdk-7-source visualvm

Many of these probably didn't help; I installed them because apt recommended them. The package that fixed the problem was probably openjdk-8-dbg. I'm too lazy to check though-- sorry. I had previously installed the following: openjdk-8-jdk openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless.

I can once again compile .java programs with Geany.