It seems you are missing the very first blatantly actual bug:

"Work offline" sends packets on closing of the browser. It is not offline at all. So Mozilla can talk nonsense to infinity - this is not a documentation bug.

> Once I know what I'm doing, what's the the most helpful thing to start with?

I feel the most important thing is to:

1) show Mozilla that it is not just a single user who sees their mischief. If just 2 buddies talk on a different site - this won't happen. So there must be a real community voice.

2) Share this especially with programmers who work on forks and in the field of browsers in general. Those are the people who can do something further.